Looking for love?

Monday, July 16, 2007

Will wag for food

The dog shelter over at PAWS is bursting at the seams these days. I could hardly keep up during my volunteer shift yesterday. I try not to think about it too much, but damn, it can be really heartbreaking sometimes.

Gilmore, for instance, has been at the shelter for months and months. This guy, a big pit bull type, has ears cropped down to nearly nothing and a gianormous head perched atop such a skinny body that you wonder if he's going to tilt forward and get stuck. He reminds me of a big, bald, vastly and violently tattooed Hell's Angel that would stop in his tracks to rescue that shivering puppy in the gutter. Intimidating looking, but a big old teddy bear inside. He's a big, happy, galloping hunk of love, and whenever I visit him, he rests his huge head in my hands and looks at me with the most soulful eyes. There's got to be a home out there for him, somewhere.

I also got to hang a bit with Cody yesterday, a big chubby black lab mix who decided fetch wasn't nearly as important as climbing up on the park bench with me to lay on my lap and snuggle. Cuddly boy dogs are the best. (I'm totally in love.)

Oh, and Ginger! She's so adorable, a wiggly happy hound puppy. Her face is so very Lizzie-like. Looks like "hound" is on the confirmed side of Lizzie's pedigree possibilities list.

I'm crossing my fingers that a flood of adopters will follow this influx of homeless pooches.

(Gilmore, Cody, Ginger and countless others urge all to spay and neuter their pets. Mmkay?)

No comments: